Importing clear, sharp images

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 17 14:59:19 PDT 2015

To quote the classic TV commercial: Stop! You're both right!

When speaking of raster images, the resolution is the *number* of pixels. It is *not* the pixel pitch, whihc ius what we're used to thinking of as "resolution" when we talk about monitors or printers.

What Richard is saying is precisely the advice you've always heard. The resolution--the number of pixels--should always remain the same for the best results. Changing the reproduced size changes the pixel *pitch* but does not change the *number* of pixels. The thing you do *not* want to do is resample the image to change the number of pixels (the resolution); this *always* degrades the quality of the image, anthough the degree of degradation can vary widely depending on the ratio of the two resolutions and the algorithm being used for the resampling or downsampling.

And getting the size correct is actually very simple as long as you know how to use a calculator. If you have an image that is 1328 pixels wide, and you need it to fit in a frame that is 3.25 inches wide, you need to set the dpi (the pixel pitch) to 1328/3.25 ≈ 409. In this case you can actually set the size with 0.25% (one part in 400) accuracy.

-Fred Ridder