limiting adjectives vs possessive adjectives

Craig Ede craigede at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 16 11:38:33 PDT 2015

Shmuel,

In an earlier post on this topic I pointed out that in English we have adjectives of varying types, two of which are:

possessive adjectives
limiting adjectives

User manual is a example of the latter and limits the intended audience.
Another example of this is "butterfly migration" which limits the scope of those things migrating.

Non-native speakers often miss this distinction and say things like "butterflies migration".

My wife is a native Spanish speaker and she claims Spanish does not allow such limiting adjectives instead saying "the migration of the butterfly". (Note the singular butterfly, mimicking the singular user in English.)

Putting "butterfly migration" into google translate results in "migración de la mariposa" in Spanish. (Not that that proves anything.)

Craig