limiting adjectives vs possessive adjectives

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 16 14:42:47 PDT 2015

Yes, there are restrictive [and non-restrictive] adjectives, which is what I assume you are referring to as "limiting adjectives" (a term I failed to find in any of my handy grammar/linguistics references).

But I don't think that's what we are dealing with here in the non-possessive case, because I don't believe we're dealing with adjectives at all.

Most people remember that adjectives modify nouns, but forget that they are not the *only* things that modify nouns. In some cases verbs modify nouns (e.g., the sitting president), and in many cases -- particularly in technical writing -- nouns modify nouns. Nouns that modify nouns are referred to as "attributive nouns" or "noun adjuncts". They almost always appear before the noun they modify (an attributive or prepositive position) and they typically identify a property or attribute of the noun that follows rather than directly modifying the noun itself.

The classical example of an attributive noun phrase in English is "chicken soup". Both words are nouns, but it is undeniable that the first noun modifies our understanding of what the second noun represents. Exactly what the relationship is varies widely; the second noun could be made from the first (e.g., chicken soup), intended for the first (e.g., user manual), composed of the first (e.g., butterfly migration), dependent on the first (e.g., church wedding) -- basically any semantic relationship other than simple possession by. And you can string a bunch of them together without any of the usual concerns about commas in adjective series. (E.g., The chicken soup tureen ladle handle was covered with schmaltz.)

Both "user manual" and "butterfly migration" fit this pattern. Both
"user" and "butterfly" are nouns that modify the sense of the nouns that
 follow them. And they are unlike adjectives because they cannot be used
 predicatively.

-FR