[Framers] preventing 2-word product name from line breaks ?

Monique Semp monique.semp at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 6 09:23:45 PDT 2016

Hello, Framers,

(Using FrameMaker 2015, but I don’t think that matters.)

I have a 2-word product name that I don’t want to break across lines. I know that I could always use a non-breaking space between the words to prevent line breaks. But that’s hard to remember to do all the time. And the search function treats the spaces as a diff, so if I’ve got inconsistent usage (some regular spaces, some non-breaking spaces), a single search won’t find everything.

Another idea is to use a variable, with the space entered as a non-breaking space. But sure as the sky is blue on this gorgeous day in San Francisco, at some point I’ll forget and just directly type the product name without a space, and later edits will push it to the end of the line into a line break situation.

The Format > Document > Text Options lets you specify “Allow Line Breaks After” chars, but doesn’t have a “Don’t Allow Line Breaks” option, which is what I really want here.

Any suggestions for other approaches or utilities I can try?

-Monique