[Framers] Thumb Tabs

Ed Nodland enodland at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 09:11:16 PDT 2016

Denis

I assume you are talking about something I refer to as bleed tabs. I use
them on a few publications. The tabs are 1 inch high and bleed into the
crop area at least 1/2 inch. They are black with white lettering. Chapter 1
starts 1 inch from the top and each tab moves down 1 inch, then if needed
the tabs start back at the top with the bottom tab at least one inch above
the bottom of the page.  I don't know how well a single-page bleed tab will
show up on the edge of the book. My tabs are on every right-hand page for
the sections that they are used for.

My data is managed in XML files and used to produce electronic
publications. I use FM to create PDFs of a few publications for commercial
printing, hence we are using structure FM. The setup is basically a
masterpage with a rotated frame on the right edge. This frame contains
variable text followed by the bleedtab with white text on the tab.  Our XML
documents contain attributes that drive the bleedtab, for example:

 <subpart pageid="49CFR.172" id="49cfr.172.c" masterpage="bleedtab"
bleedtabtext="Shipping Papers" ref="C">
<bleedtabposition>&tab;&tab;&tab;</bleedtabposition><sectnum>Subpart
C</sectnum>
<title>Shipping Papers</title>

<title>Applicability.</title>
.
.
.

   - Masterpage is set to use bleedtab
   - The text on the bleedtab is Shipping Papers
   - The position is three tabs (3 inches) down the edge

That's the basic concept, but every time I have to adjust or it up setup it
is a real pain.

Ed Nodland