[Framers] Numbering conundrum

Tammy Van Boening tammyvb at spectrumwritingllc.com
Wed Aug 24 14:11:06 PDT 2016

All,

I hope that I can accurately describe the issue that I am encountering w/ an
auto-numbered paragraph tag not being incremented properly.

I have a book with some Front Matter files such as the Cover, the TOC, a
Preface, and Copyright/Misc info. This book is the Admin Guide for a
software application that has 5 separate components to it. In the current
manual (the one that I have to overhaul), there are simply 5 separate
chapters for each component, so each chapter is significantly large and
unwieldy to navigate. I have to maintain a single manual still, but what I
want to do is divide the book into five sections, one for each component,
and then w/in each section, divide the currently lone component chapter into
multiple chapters. So, something like this:

All Front Matter files
Section 1
	Chapter 1
	Chapter 2
	Chapter 3
Section 2
	Chapter 1
	Chapter 2
	Chapter 3

I am using Groups in my Framemaker book to visually indicate the different
sections, where Group 1 is named Section 1, Group 2 is named Section 2, and
so on. Each group contains the following files:
A Section file
Chapter  1 File
Chapter 2 File
Chapter 3 File

In my Section file, I created two paragraph tags, which I imported into all
my files in the book :
SectionNumberBegin, with autonumbering set to S:Section <n=1>
SectionNumberContinued, with autonumbering set to S:Section <n+>

When I create my book like this and update the book, Section 1 is indeed
displayed for Section 1, but it is also displayed for what should be Section
2 When I move Section 2 in the book to right after Section 1, then Section 2
gets updated accordingly, but the minute that I put any chapters in between
these sections, the numbering gets reset to 1 for all Section files.   I
went through each and every paragraph tag and none are using the identifier
of "S." I have paragraph numbering for the Section 2 file, Section 3 file,
and so on set to continue. The first chapter in every group is set to
Chapter 1, and all subsequent chapters are set to continue based on previous
numbering and they auto-increment just fine. I also have paragraph numbering
in all Chapter files set to restart so that figure and caption numbers start
at 1 in every file (Fig 1-1, Fig 1-2 for Chapter 1, Fig 2-1, Fig 2-2 for
Chapter 2, and so on.)

I am at a total loss at this point. . . I remember a long time ago, in a
valley far, far away encountering a similar issue, but I cannot for the life
of me, remember the resolution that eventually came to fruition.

Any and all help is appreciated.

TIA,

TVB