[Framers] Cross reference format (what do you use?)

Sue Thomson Sue.Thomson at ewst.co.uk
Mon Dec 5 00:25:31 PST 2016

Hi, Bernard

I like to keep it clean and simple; the shorter the cross-ref the more distinctive it is, and the less cluttered the effect (particularly important if you need to cross-ref out of a table to a fuller explanation). My cross-refs (except for task lists) take the form[s]:

     [For more information] see Section N.N/Figure N-N/Table N-N

I don't reference a page number, unless absolutely necessary.

I use a character style, rather than quotes, to highlight the cross-ref. Depending upon context, I may also use brackets.

Cross-refs to task lists are another story, however. Our style guide does not allow for numbering the headings of task lists. This causes me immense grief as I have no choice but to reference the heading text. It looks ugly and cumbersome (especially in contrast with the other cross-refs). The consequence is that I have to word the headings to accommodate the way the cross-ref will appear. This always feels as though the tool is dictating the content, though, which is definitely "base above apex". One of these days I shall rebel...;)

BTW I output to print and pdf only.

Hope this helps

Sue Thomson