[Framers] Cross reference format (what do you use?)

Lin Sims ljsims.ml at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 13:21:31 PST 2016

Our corporate template has about 10 or so xref formats. The ones I use most
are the three that provide both the section number  AND the section name,
or the table number AND table name, or the figure number AND figure name.

The number of people who prefer looking for numbers as a location
indication versus the number of people who scan for key words in titles are
about equal, so I provide both. For me when I'm working in the files, the
numbers can change depending on the condition setting and how recently I
updated the xrefs, but the names don't.

Also, we produce PDFs with the expectation that our customers will use the
PDFs about 50% of the time and printouts the other 50% of the time, so I
try to avoid using "the following table/figure" and use the full
cross-reference instead. It looks a bit more cluttered, but it means
there's no question at all what the user is supposed to be looking at, and
I consider that a win.

YMMV, and probably does. :)

Lin Sims