[Framers] Save as Word?

Carol J. Elkins celkins at awrittenword.com
Wed Feb 3 08:46:22 PST 2016

At 03:51 AM 2/3/2016, John Sgammato wrote:
>FrameMaker's current Save as RTF feature is much improved. My SMEs find it
>perfectly acceptable.

One of the "undocumented features" of Frame--SaveAs RTF is that any
text that is marked with change bars is colored green in the
resulting RTF file. One of my clients hated change bars (which are
mandatory for his company's controlled documentation) and really
appreciates being able to see exactly what text (in green) was changed.

I discovered this because I had been using Acrobat-SaveAsWord but for
some still-not-understood reason, the conversion started mangling the
autonum sequences. For example in Frame a series would be 1.0, 1.1,
1.1.1 but when printed to Acrobat and then saved as Word, the
sequence was changed to 1.1, 1.1.1, 1.1.1.1, totally ignoring the
anchoring 1.0 level. I use an ancient Word 2003 version and I've
wondered if that could be part of the problem, but at any rate, when
I stopped using Acrobat-Word and went back to Frame-RTF, the
discovery of the green text instead of change bars was a happy serindipity.

Carol J. Elkins---A Written Word LLC
Making Information Understandable
Phone: 719-948-3773
mailto:celkins at awrittenword.com