[Framers] Interference with FrameMaker2015's AcrobatDC PDF hotlinks, by the latest Safari browser

Austin Meredith kouroo at kouroo.info
Wed Feb 3 08:48:56 PST 2016

   I'd like to thank Rick Quatro, on this list, for taking the time to
   solve a problem that has been most vexing to me. For a number of years,
   since Adobe purchased FrameMaker and discontinued the freebie
   FrameReader, I have been reduced to using Acrobat to create PDFs to
   distribute my work product to Thoreau scholars via my website
   [1]www.kouroo.info. However, my various PDF documents on this website,
   a number of thousands of them, are connected among one another by tens
   of thousands of internal hotlinks, taking the user from one PDF
   document, say a document about a book checked out from Harvard Library
   by Henry Thoreau, to another PDF document, say a document I have
   created about the life of the author of that book. All these hotlinks
   are between one of the PDF documents I have personally created in this
   protected space, and some other of the PDF documents I have personally
   created in this protected space. None take the reader outside, into any
   danger.

   Suddenly, however, the rules have been changed. Changed secretly,
   without notification. Safari invalidated my hotlinks. When my users
   click on the hotlinks, they are free to consider me some sort of fool
   who does not know how to create such hotlinks, because nothing happens.
   I became like that frustrated mime in the public park, who can't figure
   out how to get out of the invisible glass box.

   What Rick has helped figure out is that, in the latest versions of
   Safari and Acrobat, each of my scholars must individually go into his
   or her Safari browser's preferences/security settings, and specifically
   instruct the program that he or she trusts my [2]www.kouroo.info
   website. Then my PDF hotlinks continue to work -- exactly as they have
   always functioned in Microsoft's Internet Explorer browser!