[Framers] middle (vertical) alignment in table cell ?

Monique Semp monique.semp at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 14 12:13:03 PDT 2016

> Maybe I'm missing something, but what works for me (in FrameMaker 10 and FM11) is to highlight the text inside the table cell, then: Paragraph Designer -->  Table Cell icon (at far right) -->  at Cell Vertical Alignment, choose "Middle" in the drop-down list --> then select Apply (or "Update all", if that's what you want to do for all occurrences of this paragraph tag inside a table cell).

Nope; you’re not missing anything. But depending on the font face, the font size, whether there’s a solid background behind the text, which part of the text you consider “the middle”, and how picky/perceptive the viewer is, things might seem perfect or they might seem “a bit off”.

Some font faces have a more-obvious looking midline than others, which may or may not be centered between the ascender and descender heights; some combos of text might skew the perception of where the middle is (for example, titles with lots of uppercase words vs. a block of lowercase text); a strong background graphic changes the obvious-ness of non-centering more than if there were white space behind the text; and so on.

So your method is absolutely correct, but sometimes a bit of adjustment is needed to satisfy our human perception of whether things “look right.”

-Monique