[Framers] middle (vertical) alignment in table cell ?

Peter Gold peter at petergold.photography
Tue Jun 14 13:38:26 PDT 2016

I don't have FM running, but working from long-term memory, IIRC, I think
the issue is that FM can't apply negative Line Space (AKA baseline shift)
text property in the paragraph or character designer. HOWEVER, it can be
set in MIF. Details in the MIF Reference. Again, IIRC, the setting holds
unless the designer is used on the named format, and it's lost. If you can
get this to work, consider saving the block of MIF, so you can copy/paste
it whenever you need it.

You want a pleasing optical vertical centering, not a calculated center.
So, a couple of strategies that might avoid the MIF method:

* Apply a "tall" character format to a non-printing character, like a
space, that appears in the text. This should force the vertical-centering
calculation to display the text lower than the paragraph format's normal
position, unless this doesn't work in a table cell.

* Create a run-in paragraph format to precede the problematic text's
paragraph. The vertical-centering algorithm may give you the control you
want.

I don't think I've seen you state whether the problematic text is a single
line paragraph. I'm not sure how these strategies would work in a
wrap-around paragraph. And, I'm guessing that the problem is that the text
appears above the optical center, so you want to lower it.

* Create an unconnected text frame with the Text Frame tool in the graphics
toolbox. Create a character format for it (it won't accept a paragraph
format, and might not respond to spell check.) Copy and paste it into the
table cell. You'll have a bunch of tweaking options to experiment with.

Now, since you're working with a designer whose got a sophisticated sense,
listen carefully to see if she or he has whispered "InDesign can do this
without breaking a sweat." If so, perhaps this is the time to think about a
new authoring tool.<G>

HTH