[Framers] FrameMaker 7.2 Not Responding on New PC

David Artman david at davidartman.com
Tue Mar 1 07:06:27 PST 2016

   Just spit-balling, but try these, in order, until you no longer see the
   crash (this will take days to work through, if you want to make a valid
   test at each stage):

   * Ensure that you've installed all updates, in order.

   * If you work off a network share, try working locally and syncing to
   the share regularly (i.e., network dropouts or latency could be causing
   FM to crash).

   * Uninstall all fonts that you do not use (i.e., free up some system
   resources).

   * Configure FM to run in Windows XP Compatibility Mode. (Right-click
   the main EXE, choose Properties, and change setting on Compatibility
   tab; do the same for any/all shortcuts you use to launch FM.)

   * Upgrade to FM8 (which I use regularly on Win 7 with no issues
   whatsoever).

   You might want to look into running some kind of system resources
   monitor while you test these fix attempts, to perhaps 'catch' the
   failure in the act (e.g., memory or CPU running out of control).

   Wish I could tell you more... but diagnosing a system failure by email
   is pretty challenging, in this day and age. :)

   David