[Framers] FrameMaker 7.2 Not Responding on New

Robert Lauriston robert at lauriston.com
Thu Mar 3 10:04:59 PST 2016

Unstructured FrameMaker hasn't really changed much since version
5.5.6. There are some useful new features layered on top, but if you
know how to use any version you can quickly get up to speed on any
other. Any competent hiring manager should know that.

If the company is using DITA (highly unlikely given they're on 7.2),
upgrading to FrameMaker 13 wouldn't magically change the source.

In any case, "I need to upgrade to the latest version to keep my
skills up to date" seems like a nonstarter argument. If you want your
company to buy new software, you need to justify the cost with some
alleged benefits. And if you did a cost-benefit analysis of
alternatives to FM 7.2, FM 13 would not necessarily be the best
choice.