[Framers] SVG blowing up Frame file size

Syed Zaeem Hosain Syed.Hosain at aeris.net
Thu May 5 12:41:37 PDT 2016

SVG is a vector format - very efficient, but needs to be rasterized for printing and display purposes. Usually converted on the fly (when output/printed) by tools that properly work with SVG.

It is possible that FrameMaker creates bit-mapped images at the point of _importing_ the SVG - i.e., without keeping it in vector form.

Then, depending on the dpi, combined with the size of the image, etc., this may be resulting in a large image being brought in.

Could also be that there is some inefficiency/bugginess in the SVG->bitmap conversion process in FrameMaker.

Can you save the file as a PNG or PDF from Visio rather than SVG? FrameMaker may handle it better.

> Corporate standards require using SVG as it is a non-proprietary format

PDF are PNG are also public formats. Maybe you can talk to the people maintaining the corporate standards?

BTW, a side-bar: _never_ use JPEG for business graphics, screen captures, line drawings, etc. ... you will hate the resulting dots and artifacts in the JPEG image! I always use PNG for these kinds of "images".