[Framers] Mif wash .book files

Stamm, David David.Stamm at gd-ms.com
Thu Nov 17 12:02:30 PST 2016

2016-11-17-04T20:00Z

Steve -

Thanks for that peek into the arcana of ASCII files:  I learned something there.

To further the test, I opened the .mif file with SyncRO Soft <oXygen/> XML Editor, saved the file as a copy, and opened the copy with FrameMaker.  Then I used XML Editor to delete some cruft and to save the file.  FrameMaker opened the file just fine.

Given the mysterious (to me) performance of Notepad, here's what I think might have happened.  Somewhere in that perfectly-good .mif file, Notepad found a "0" and turned it sideways to try to be a "1."  If that wasn't enough, then Notepad laid the "1" on its side and tried to make it into an underscore.  FrameMaker easily detected the ruse and refused to recognize the corrupted file.

That's my story, and I plan to stick to it (until further notice in case I actually learn the cause of the problem).

Dave Stamm
Information Engineer