[Framers] xref from FM file created by DITA-FMx to unstructured Frame?

Lin Sims ljsims.ml at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 12:15:16 PST 2016

I don't care if it works in Frame, as long as it works in the PDF!

And I suspect part of the problem is, as I said, because I was not working
in the fully structured environment we maintain on our server. FM2016 is
set to the structured interface on my personal laptop (we all have it that
way), but without the EDD/DTD, I couldn't get anything meaningful in the
elements list. Once I used the server-installation of FM, I was able to add
an fm-xref, which is I think an internal definition(? or yours, I forget
which) that allows us to refer to paragraph tags as well as elements for
xrefs.

With luck, FM2015 will be installed on the server soon, and things will do
what I want them to do.

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 2:37 PM, Scott Prentice <sp14 at leximation.com> wrote:

> FYI .. no, not possible (in a meaningful way) to create an xref from a
> DITA file to an unstructured FM file. In theory you could create an
> "external" xref to the FM file, but the best you could hope for would be
> that it would open the FM file in FM when the link was clicked (and likely
> that wouldn't even work).
>
> ...scott
>

> On 11/22/16 10:48 AM, Lin Sims wrote:
>
>> Never mind, figured out that (part of the problem) is that I was working
>> with my local version of Frame, that has no links to an EDD/DTD. The
>> server
>> version (which does) works fine.
>>
>> Now to get the tools guy to upgrade the server from FM12 to FM2015, so I
>> don't have to save down for everything.
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 1:33 PM, Lin Sims <ljsims.ml at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Is this even possible? I've got both files open, but when I try to insert
>>> an xref, I only get the DITA menu and it won't let me select anything but
>>> elements. Which the other file doesn't have, of course, it not being
>>> DITA/xml.
>>>
>>> I tried to email Scott directly, but I got a bounce, so I obviously have
>>> the wrong address.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Lin Sims

> stinfo.cgi/framers-frameusers.com