[Framers] Who's in charge?

Robert Lauriston robert at lauriston.com
Tue Nov 29 11:21:33 PST 2016

I probably wouldn't create a Blue format. I'd name a format after a
particular function and the color would be one of the attributes (e.g. the
Link tag below). A template I created at one job in the FM7 era had only
these character tags:

   - Default: Reverts the selected text to the default character settings
   for the paragraph tag.
   - Bold: Apply this character tag rather than using Ctrl-B.
   - CodeFont: Use for file names and commands in running text. (For
   multi-line listings, use the Code paragraph tag.) Apply this character tag
   rather than formatting the text as Courier.
   - Italic: Apply this character tag rather than using Ctrl-I.
   - Link: This is used only in cross-reference formats. It be used in text
   only for hyperlinks in in text insets (since due to the PDF export bug we
   can't use cross-references).
   - Symbol: The tag should generally be avoided since FrameMaker's
   capabilities are so limited. If you must use it, check all output formats
   to make sure it's coming out correctly.
   - ~CautionColor, ~NoteColor, ~TipColor: used by paragraph tags, do not
   apply directly.