[Framers] OT: General writing question

Patrick Edwards edwards at iodp.tamu.edu
Thu Jan 26 08:54:03 PST 2017

Like Roger, I'm a big fan of Robin Williams' books too, but this one is essential: The Elements of Typographic Style by Robert Bringhurst.

https://www.amazon.com/Elements-Typographic-Style-Version-Anniversary/dp/0881792128/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1485444163&sr=1-1&keywords=elements+of+typographic+style+by+robert+bringhurst

There's deep information in here about designing for print and screen, why and how type works the way it does, etc.

Some people say that design (read "prettiness") doesn't matter for technical documentation. I say (not the first one to say it) that design isn't what it looks like, design is how it works, and this book tells you how to design things that work well.

Best,
Patrick

Patrick H. Edwards
Production Editor and Web Administrator
International Ocean Discovery Program
JOIDES Resolution Science Operator
Texas A&M University
1000 Discovery Drive
College Station TX  77845-9547
979 845 1199
edwards at iodp.tamu.edu

>>> "Tammy Van Boening" <tammyvb at spectrumwritingllc.com> 1/26/2017 8:58 AM >>>
All,

I know that this list is for Framemaker-related questions, but that means we
are all writers on this list, so I wanted to post a general writing style
question to the multitudes of gurus that I can reach as a result. . .

Since the cows have come home, I have always, and I mean always, used Times
or another serif font for body text and san serif for headings and I know
that this is considered the "norm" or "standard" for tech. docs. That said,
this new client is also insistent on using sans serif fonts for both
headings and text and it isn't pretty when you're trying to read this
manual.

Does anyone have any hard references/links to sites that you could point me
to that stipulate why this is the norm/standard for writing manuals?  Right
now, my client considers everything that I offered as an explanation as
simply anecdotal and not worthy of consideration.

Yea, I am about to punt. . . .

Thanks,

TVB

Send messages to framers at lists.frameusers.com