[Framers] OT: General writing question

David Creamer IDEASlists at IDEAStraining.com
Fri Jan 27 05:19:49 PST 2017

Sorry about the subject line on previous post.

My two cents...

Generally, if the document is meant to be read mostly on-screen--including
PDFs--sans serif is easier to read on most monitors, especially smaller or
older ones. That's why most websites tend to use san serif fonts. I like to
use a san serif that contains lots of styles and weights to give me some
variety in the design--condensed, normal, extended; regular, semi-bold,
bold, heavy, etc. Of course, italic/oblique fonts in those styles too.
Myriad Pro is a good example with about 30-odd fonts, but there are plenty
of others. If do multiple languages, Linotype Neue Helvetica is a good
choice as it can support up to 83 languages (not to be confused with
Helvetica Neue).

For _strictly_ print, the old ways are still the good ways... I like to use
Minion Pro since it has lots of fonts including special caption and display
styles. I try to stay away from the Arial/Times motif unless required.

As far as readability, I read something a _long_ time ago that said in the
United States, the reading preference (on hard copy) was split about
50/50--while in other countries, serif fonts still had the edge (about
80/20). That was due to the internet being more popular in the US at the
time, so the other countries might be closer to the US percentage now. Of
course, it is possible that the san serif preference could have surpassed
the serif with younger readers too.

David Creamer
IDEAS Training
ADOBE Authorized Instructor & Certified Expert since 1994
FrameMaker Certified since 1991, including structured XML
Authorized QuarkXPress Instructor and Certified Expert since 1988