[Framers] Save As HTML, character tags, HTML mapping table, and extra line feed/hard returns

Patrick Edwards edwards at iodp.tamu.edu
Tue Jun 13 07:41:30 PDT 2017

Hi,

I have a question about the HTML mapping table in FrameMaker reference
pages and the Save As HTML function. I find that when I Save As HTML,
FrameMaker inserts a hard return after every opening and closing tag
mapped to Character Designer formats. In other words, anything I've
tagged Superscript or Subscript ends up like this in the HTML output:

SO<sub>
4
</sub>
<sup>
2−
<sup>

Is there a way to eliminate that extra hard return at Save As HTML
export?

I know I can search and replace in a text editor, but I'd rather fix
the problem at source if possible. I know I should be using HTML5
Publishing output, we're moving that way but we're not there yet.

Thanks for any and all help,
Patrick

Patrick H. Edwards
Production Editor and Web Administrator