[Framers] Questions about tech docs in an Agile environment (may be off-topic)

cuc tu cuc2u at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 1 11:22:03 PST 2017

Pat,

My company has also migrated to an Agile workflow. We had no choice but to fall into a similar process. I read articles discussing concepts of documenting on time with each sprint vs. waiting for maturity and documenting late. Our teams run 3 week sprints and the expectation is that at the end of each sprint, there is product ready to enter the release process (which means regression test to mfg and staging final docs for publication). The reality is there are often failures in testing and most sprints do not complete a releasable package, and there are otherwise marketing activities that really control the public release. Like you, we typically have large quarterly releases. Also like you, we have avoided structured content so your story is of interest. I'm curious how many products/manuals is a lot?

We use Jira to manage workflows and track development activity. We are refining the fit between software and complementary activities, but the idea is that a software task for a sprint must also correlate to a publication task (when appropriate). Tasks can be bunched under a 'story' that defines all of the activity to complete a particular feature/enhancement, and we are then able to bunch our work accordingly and maintain a reasonable balance between the above two concepts.

I have tried to optimize our content development efficiency by creating more topic-centric, and less product/feature-centric deliverables that can be packaged and re-used in whole across multiple product lines. There are some specializations that complicate this, but the strategy has been effective. The deliverables are packaged into individual PDF files that define a complete document set for a particular product or product line. Some of these documents are very product specific, usually hardware related, and most of the task/reference content is more generic and can be reused for other products. We also create HTML Help content using ePublisher (WebWorks), and that can be context sensitive and embedded in our products as well as stand-alone on the web. The Help workflow is nice because we can package source content chunks in various ways to meet customer's needs. We also maintain a print publishing channel for customers that prefer that (which is rare, but still remarkable).

>From this point, it is clear that we must look at newer techniques and embrace a new paradigm. To me this means much more than just structured content, but must include other aspects of the business and tie them into unity so that all forms of information are accessible and present ready-use. I literally see a unified system that all stakeholders, including the design engineers, marketers, field sales staff, service, and training folks all using to develop their content, internal or external, so that every bit of it is readily accessible and properly managed. And then you can open a certain amount of that up to a customer facing, self serving solution. The writers can then focus on the small details of making great content and not worry about any of the downstream processes.

OK, my manager suggests we look for a scalable tool just for our small writing group. I've heard some suggestions we look at Confluence and this thread has been my first exposure to Paligo. All the solutions look the same to me and are all equally as mysterious as what benefit they actually provide. I can understand the concept of structured content, and even DITA, but have no insight into the nuts and bolts of their use, overhead, and real returns. Sometimes the marketing seems to get in the way...

Thanks,

Message: 5