[Framers] Questions about tech docs in an Agile environment (may be off-topic)

Robert Lauriston robert at lauriston.com
Wed Mar 1 12:24:24 PST 2017

Adopting a non-reality-based editorial process is one of the most
common ways of doing Agile wrong. I think that's often based on a
misreading of the part of the Agile manifesto that says, "Working
software over comprehensive documentation." That refers to
developer-written documentation such as specs.

QA and documentation simply can't always be completed in the same
sprint as development. My most extreme example was an update to a
major open-source component of the product I was documenting. It took
the developer a few hours and his draft documentation was under 500
words. It took two and a half months (three more sprints) to test and
document the extremely complex process of migrating to the new
version, and the resulting doc was ten pages including four different
procedures with a total of 48 steps.