[Framers] OT Followup: Stopping Adobe's auto install of Reader DC

Frank Stearns franks at pacifier.com
Tue Mar 7 13:19:21 PST 2017

I'm cautiously optimistic that this particular zombie beast has
finally been destroyed.

The unwanted install of DC happened twice more since my last post, and
in a rage I went to vent at Adobe support. Of course, one is not
allowed to contact them for such a lowly product (or not having parted
with cash earlier), but a few posts in the "forums" section led
me to look at the windows Task scheduler. Interesting critter.

Sure enough, our delightful friends had entered a task to update
Reader at EVERY login. I'm not familiar with the nuts and bolts of the
scheduler, but apparently there are no settings to notify the user,
the task "just happens". (Or, if such notifications are possible,
they were certainly disabled for this task.)

With MUCH GLEE, I found the command to DELETE this task, and happily
did so. I confirmed that the Reader Update task is no longer in the
task list for this system.

So, we'll see just how much of a horror movie is rolling here, and
whether or not I'm updated to DC again. If so, I won't need to email;
you'll *hear* me scream from thousands of miles away.

A note to Adobe if you're listening: please don't do things like this.
Such actions only alienate people.

Frank
Frank Stearns Associates | makers of IXgen(tm) for FrameMaker(r)
*** IXGEN 7-10 for FrameMaker 10-15 HERE! ***
franks at fsatools.com  1-435-275-8981  fsatools.com