[Framers] FrameMaker 7.2 Crashes

Frank Stearns franks at pacifier.com
Tue May 16 05:51:23 PDT 2017

Older versions of FM sometimes seem unhappy running directly in a
newer OS.

Try VirtualBox from Oracle. It's free; you can set up a virtual XP
environment under Win 7 or Win 10, install FM in that XP world, and
away you go, often faster and without those quirks compared to
running the older FM natively. (I've found the emulator offering from
Microsoft to be lacking and unreliable. What a surprise.)

With a few configuration tweaks, the virtual environment can r/w
"real" disk locations outside the environment, you can copy and paste
(control-C/V) to and from apps inside and outside the virtual
environment, and you can send/receive from your USB devices, such as
printers, keyboards, mice.

Two caveats: You'll need original XP disks to do the install; and so
far there is no support for firewire devices.

Overall a headache saver and in our case, we have a 25 year-old custom
database that's impossible to run in Win7 but works just fine in
Virtualbox. A HUGE time saver and business saver, actually -- we were
unable to rewrite that db for a newer OS. And oh, btw, FM7.x runs
nicely in that environment as well. :)

Frank Stearns Associates | makers of IXgen(tm) for FrameMaker(r)
*** IXGEN 7-10 for FrameMaker 10-15 HERE! ***
franks at fsatools.com  1-435-275-8981  fsatools.com