[Framers] Frame 15 UI annoyances

Stefan Gentz gentz at adobe.com
Mon May 29 11:03:15 PDT 2017

Hi Bertrand,

> 1. I am saving in MIF 7.0. Any way to get rid of the pesky dialog that
> warns me each time that I am losing information (I am not)?
> It's driving me crazy.

Currently there is no way to avoid this message, and it will probably not go away, as it is important to warn users that they will lose information when they save to to MIF 7 from any version above FM 8. All versions starting with FM8 use Unicode. Older versions are encoded in FrameRoman codepage. Saving FM8 or higher to MIF7 converts all text strings to FrameRoman. However, this only works for characters that can be covered by the old FrameRoman codepage. All other characters will be converted to question marks ("?").

You will not run into problems, if you are strictly using only characters in FM8 or higher that are "compatible" with the old FrameRoman codepage. E.g., if you only write in English and do not use any other Unicode based characters or special symbol fonts.

There is a tool called PTFB ("Push the freaking Button"), which is a "Mouse Auto Clicker". You can define this warning dialog and whenever it appears, PTFB will automatically click the button. Maybe it helps you: http://www.ptfbpro.com/
I found it quite useful some years ago.

> 2. I unchecked "Auto backup on Save" in Preferences, but I still get
> my folders polluted with silly x.auto.fm files.
> How can I get rid of them?

This option creates a "*.backup.fm" file. It does not create "*.auto.fm" files. Not sure right now, why you get "*.auto.fm" files. Are your files quite big? I think to remember that FM creates "*.auto.fm" files in some rare scenarios (I think it was, when you are saving extremely big files).

Regards,
Stefan Gentz
Adobe Worldwide TechComm Evangelist

1. I am saving in MIF 7.0. Any way to get rid of the pesky dialog that warns me each time that I am losing information (I am not)?  It's driving me crazy.
2. I unchecked "Auto backup on Save" in Preferences, but I still get my folders polluted with silly x.auto.fm files. How can I get rid of them?

These issues did not arise with earlier versions.

Thanks in advance,

-- Bertrand Meyer