[Framers] Old FrameMaker books?

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Mon Oct 2 14:52:48 PDT 2017

At 21:33 +0000 2/10/17, Wroblewski, Victoria wrote:

>This might be the reason we stopped actually doing index entries and have been quietly deleting index files from our books (I have a former co worker from another company who is in horror over this idea).  Use the search, people.

Hmmm. There's a debate to be had here. I'm with your former co-worker. A dumb search is not the same as an index, always assuming that the index has been done properly - i.e. there's been a sentient human in the loop.

A parallel is the lazy 'search' feature that is built into the web interfaces of web fora such as tech support sites for Microsoft and the like. Who has the time to wade through 847 hits to find the possible one relevant one? Or work out what the search grammar is, always assuming that there is one? I have for example totally given up trying to fox out technical issues with Parallels products for just this reason. Such things can actually drive customers away, and the opposite can hold true too.

And what Monique said too - she beat me to it.

--
Steve