[Framers] *****SPAM***** Re: Old FrameMaker books?

Frank Stearns franks at pacifier.com
Tue Oct 3 05:42:33 PDT 2017

On Mon, 2 Oct 2017, Steve Rickaby wrote:

> At 21:33 +0000 2/10/17, Wroblewski, Victoria wrote:
>
>> This might be the reason we stopped actually doing index entries
>> and have been quietly deleting index files from our books (I have a
>> former co worker from another company who is in horror over this
>> idea).  Use the search, people.

It is horrifying.

> the like. Who has the time to wade through 847 hits to find the
> possible one relevant one? Or work out what the search grammar is,
> always assuming that there is one? I have for example totally given
> up trying to fox out technical issues with Parallels products for
> just this reason. Such things can actually drive customers away, and
> the opposite can hold true too.

It's amazing what has become "acceptable". After reviewing the first 1
or 2 returns from that batch of 847, many folks just shrug and give up
-- or maybe go watch a Youtube video.

While I'm only partly holding my breath, perhaps one day the index (a
real index, of quality) will be rediscovered as this remarkable method
of sorting through information. And as Steve implies, this will be
something "new" for Marketing to toot as well -- indexed user docs!

Until then -- and in the meantime -- we still have IXgen available to
make the mechanics of FM indexing so much easier. :)

Frank Stearns Associates | makers of IXgen(tm) for FrameMaker(r)
*** IXGEN 7-10 for FrameMaker 10-15 HERE! ***
franks at fsatools.com  1-435-275-8981  fsatools.com