[Framers] How do you identify an advanced Framemaker user?

Carol J. Elkins celkins at awrittenword.com
Sun Apr 15 09:31:31 PDT 2018

Over the next couple of years, I need to help my major client find
and train an in-house replacement for me as I wind down my freelance
practice. They will not consider an independent contractor next time,
so it may be harder to recruit and identify someone with the required
skills. I've built 20 years of documentation for this client in
unstructured Framemaker, and managing these thousands of documents
and books depends less on someone being a good technical writer than
being an excellent Framemaker user.

For those of you who are corporate employers, I'd like to know how
you screen candidates to identify those who truly are advanced
Framemaker users. Is there a test you employ? Do you ask them to
build a template from scratch? Are there certifications that you
require? Do you use a recruiting service? How would you locate
qualified candidates (in addition to posting to Frameusers)?

Note that I am NOT recruiting; that is still a few years down the
road 8-). I just need to start thinking about the best way to replace
myself. My long-time designated backup is also planning to retire in
the next couple of years, so I have to start again to find the best
person for my job. I am willing to train them how to do my job, but
it requires their already being a master of Framemaker.

Carol