[Framers] Transfer from FrameMaker into Word

Shmuel Wolfson shmuelw1 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 07:00:00 PDT 2018

I think you are much better off saving the Frame files as RTF then RTF
as Word. The reason is that when you save Frame files as RTF, you get
the styles that were in Frame. If you want to change style names, it's a
simple search and replace. This is much faster than having to apply all
the styles from scratch. When you save PDF as Word, everything is in
Normal style, although you do get different size fonts and bold, etc.
There still is a lot of cleanup work, but avoiding the step of applying
style is a major time saver.

Here's a checklist I made a long time ago. You could start with this and
update the checklist as you go to suit your needs:

Make a copy of all FM files
Open a FM file (work on a copy, not the original)
Delete all cross-reference formats in copied FM files (I think there was
a problem with the cross-references text when I did not do this)
Delete pictures
Save as Word RTF
Convert styles
If necessary, apply def. par. font to ones that did not change:
BL-C-warning > Default Paragraph Font
Copy to new Word file based on the client’s template
Fix document properties
Remove manual line breaks
Remove page breaks
Remove optional hyphen
Remove section breaks
Remove extra par marks
Remove (continued) or (cont.)
Delete all bookmarks
Add list numbering (Search for ^p1 to find the beginning of each procedure)
Add bullets
Delete old bullets
Redo tables
Table captions
Notes
Cautions
Warnings
Open the original FM file to see what figures go where
Insert figures
Redo figure captions
Review pagination
Insert cross-refs (search for see, refer, figure, table, page, section)
Add TOC and compare new TOC to old TOC
Make index