[Framers] Transfer from FrameMaker into Word

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Wed Apr 25 07:18:43 PDT 2018

At 09:30 -0400 25/4/18, Janie Cole wrote:

>My contract is ending and no one else at the company knows how to use
>FrameMaker.They have asked me to convert the SOPs that I produced for them into Word so others can maintain after I'm gone.

Shmuel has nailed the detail for you: saving out of PDF gets you almost nothing, because you are interposing a massively different format (PDF) when you don't need to (Frame -> RTF). With that route your biggest task is likely to be sorting out inserted images, if there are any.

'convert... into Word so others can maintain after I'm gone' is as familiar as it is disturbing: I have been reading the same thing for more than two decades.

Assuming that you are meticulous in creating your ex-FrameMaker output, your soon-to-be-ex colleagues will need an unusually high level of Word skills to maintain your documents in their current state. My own experience has suggested that this is almost never the case.

By heck, if you're well out of it, should you care?

--
Steve