[Framers] FrameMaker 2019 Issues and First Look

Oran Petersen orandeep at comcast.net
Thu Aug 30 14:48:42 PDT 2018

In answer to Caroline's question below:
Ever since day-one the rule has been that you should have only one version of Acrobat on your machine. When I was working for a large company managing this stuff, one of my biggest issues was those who intentionally or accidently loaded two version on their machine, which usually destroyed the ability to successfully create a PDF that worked correctly. Even Reader and full Acrobat on one machine could cause issues. I would have to uninstall all of them and re-install the correct one.
For the later versions, Adobe installation now removes other versions for you. So my 2 machines now have only Acrobat 2017, which is the version that comes with TCS 2019. There is now no sign of DC or earlier versions on my machines.
2017 should convert PF to Word very nicely, better than earlier versions, so should not be an issue for you. The install added an ACROBAT menu item to Word and other Office 365 products, which work well. I have also printed to PDF from older applications with no issues so far. None of them use or need the distiller. As I stated, earlier, the distiller seems needed only to convert postscript (ps) files.
I surmise that it is best to install Acrobat last so that it can set up the other apps for you.
Oran Petersen