[Framers] Space being removed in structured output

Scott Prentice sp14 at leximation.com
Tue Dec 11 08:40:43 PST 2018

This is a tricky subject, and one that's been debated for years (not
just related to FM). This particular situation isn't a bug (and DITA-FMx
would handle it the same way) .. according to the XML specification[1],
it's valid for XML processors to strip leading and trailing whitespace
from text nodes. If you want the whitespace to be preserved you need to
identify that element as a "preserve space" element (xml:space="preserve").

Yes .. in general, if you want the whitespace to have a chance of
surviving, don't put it at the beginning or end of the element.

[1]
https://www.w3.org/2008/xmlsec/Drafts/xml-norm/Overview.html#sec-Requirements-Robustness

Cheers,
...scott