[Framers] Simplified Chinese Index

Heiko Haida info at heiko-haida.de
Mon Jan 15 18:23:23 PST 2018

Hi Rick,

we are using as group titles:

Symbols[\
];Numerics[0];A;B;C;D;E;F;G;H;I;J;K;L;M;N;O;P;Q;R;S;T;U;V;W;X;Y;Z

And the sort order would be:

<$symbols><$numerics><$alphabetics><$pinyin>

This should work...

I know that others may use different settings. The group titles for
Simplified Chinese are always latin characters according to the
pronunciation of the words. It may be a question if entries written with
latin characters should appear together at the beginning or at the end
of the index (we prefer the beginning, before the Chinese).

As you know, FrameMaker will have about 95% of the Chinese entries
sorted correctly, but not all of them (a character/word may leed to
different pronunciations, which FrameMaker cannot handle!). Therefore,
any Chinese index has to be checked by a native speaker and either
corrected manually, or by specifying correct sort orders in the entries
themselves (in brackets).

Best regards -- Tino H. Haida, Berlin

Rick Quatro: