[Framers] Cross-references between books (PDFs0

tammyvb at spectrumwritingllc.com tammyvb at spectrumwritingllc.com
Tue Jan 16 10:23:27 PST 2018

Hi all,

OK, I know that there has been a discussion recently about this on the list,
but I am not sure if my situation differs slightly, so I will ask my
question and if it is a repeat, my apologies in advance.

I have inherited a MASSIVE multi-book project in which the "Help" as it was
called was delivered as individual PDFs in a set structure. Within each of
these books, there were not only intra x-references (cross-references w/ in
the same file or across files w/in the same book), but also inter-book
x-refs (For example, from a file in PDF.1 to a specific location in a file
in PDF.2).

Here is my question:

When working with a file in a book, there will be a link that says to click
"Here" and the link is an inter-file link. The format of the link is this:

<EmphasisBlue>HERE (<$paratext[filename]>, Section <$paranumonly>), where
the filename refers to the filename of the PDF of the Framemaker book.

I really want to modify this link so that the filename of the book does not
show, remove the word "here"  and because the sections are being changed to
non-numbered headings, I would also change from paranumonly to paratext and
the x-ref would be to the heading text, but I still want the link to be
displayed in blue to indicate that it is a link.

I initially set up a character format called "White" and applied it to the
PDF filename and then applied the EmphasisBlue just to the <$paratext> like
this:

See <White>(<$paratext[filename]><EmphasisBlue><$paratext>

But I am getting this in the preview:

See <big space> "correct heading text."

So, yea, the big space is the file name being included, but it is not shown
because it is in white - however, because it's "there," I have the space in
the x-ref.

Does anybody have any ideas as to how I could get this x-ref to work but
w/out showing the filename and not having the spacing issues?

Thank you!

TVB

Tammy Van Boening

Tammy dot vanboening at spectrumwritingllc dot com

www.spectrumwritingllc.com