[Framers] SVG graphic with photograph not importing

Lin Sims ljsims.ml at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 11:07:03 PDT 2018

All our graphics are numbered so that they can be easily found and reused,
which is why even screenshots with no other modifications go into a Visio
format and are then saved as both Visio and SVG. The ability to search for
text is an additional reason to save as SVG, although at my current job we
are making it a standard to use either letters or numbers and putting all
the text into tables. We don't internationalize at the moment, but I like
to be prepared. Also, you can put more information in a table without
worrying about your text labels obscuring something important.

On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 12:32 PM, David Artman <david at davidartman.com>
wrote:

>    In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with saving a raster graphic
>    (photo, screen shot) with vector-art (callout lines, boxes, text) as an
>    SVG file (or PDF, or EPS). In fact, it is probably the *best practice*
>    both for localization (translate the text in the SVG) and for
>    searchability (the text is still text in the final output, not
>    rasterized bitmap like it would be if you saved to PNG before
>    typesetting it). If you flatten it to a bitmap format like PNG, the
>    text and callout lines and boxes become bitmaps as well, and as such
>    are going to show graininess at zoom and not be searchable.
>
>    Of course, we could argue about the relative merits of putting text
>    into an image rather than using letters or numbers and then defining
>    the letters or numbers in (say) a table below the image in FM. Many
>    choose the latter approach to simplify localization--you need only send
>    the FM files for translation, not hundreds of SVG files as well. But if
>    you're fine with natural-language text in your graphics and the
>    commensurate cost of translating graphic-by-graphic, then SVG is
>    basically ideal, for the reasons I gave above.
>
>    As for JPG versus PNG, there's no reason to save as JPG unless you
>    *intentionally* want to save a lossy image at a very small size. PNG
>    applies lossless compression--and so you get some file-size
>    savings--but it doesn't generate the wretched artifacts that
>    low-percentage JPGs generate.
>
>    I would concur with whomever said that there's no point in putting
>    *only* a raster graphic into an SVG and saving it as SVG. Just adding a
>    step. No one should lose sleep over the fact that images without
>    callouts are PNG and those with callouts are SVG... in fact, that would
>    simplify sorting out which needed to be zipped up for the translators
>    versus which can be left alone!
>
>    My 2¢;
>
>    David
> listinfo.cgi/framers-frameusers.com