[Framers] My Structured App Not Showing

cuc tu cuc2u at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 29 06:34:37 PDT 2018

Hi All,

I'm trying to set a simple structured app so I can read in xml and apply formatting, somewhere I am missing something as I only see two dita and one xdocbook apps available. A few times I've seen a whole list of about 20 and cannot figure out where is the problem.

I make a new EDD in Frame and it validates. It is flat:

EDD Version is 12.0
Structured Application:
Do not create formats on import.
Element (Container): Reference
Valid as the highest-level element.
General rule: <ANY>
Element (Container):  Title
General rule: <ANY>
Element (Container):  Subheading
General rule: <ANY>
Element (Container):  Command
General rule: <ANY>
Element (Container):  Name
General rule: <ANY>
Element (Container):  title-label
General rule: <ANY>
Element (Container):  show
General rule: <ANY>
Element (Container):  data
General rule: <ANY>
Element (Container):  pre
General rule: <ANY>
Element (Container):  Name2
General rule: <ANY>

Then I use StructureTools to save as a DTD, selecting <no application>:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!--DTD for Reference. Typically invoked by
      <!DOCTYPE  Reference  SYSTEM
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\AdobeFrameMaker12\Structure\xml\SCPI\DTD12.dtd">
-->

<!ELEMENT Reference  ANY >

<!ELEMENT Title      ANY >

<!ELEMENT Subheading ANY >

<!ELEMENT Command    ANY >

<!ELEMENT Name       ANY >

<!ELEMENT title-label
                     ANY >

<!ELEMENT show       ANY >

<!ELEMENT data       ANY >

<!ELEMENT pre        ANY >

<!ELEMENT Name2      ANY >

I also create a blank FM file and import elements from my EDD. All of these files are saved in the program directory specified in my DTD.

Now I will open the Structured Application Designer with Blank Application, I will set the the file paths to my DTD, EDD, and scpi-template.fm files, give it a name and save.

Now I will try to open the xml file. I do not know what needs to be in the header, but that's my guess. I've also tried it without the path (just "DTD12.dtd:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE Reference SYSTEM  "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\AdobeFrameMaker12\Structure\xml\SCPI\DTD12.dtd" [

<!-- Begin Document Specific Declarations -->

<!-- End Document Specific Declarations -->

]>

<Reference>
<Title>Commands</Title>
<Subheading>SYSTEM Commands</Subheading>
<Command>
<Name> *CLS  </Name>
      <title-label><show> Title: </show></title-label>
      <data> Clear Status Command </data>
      <title-label><show> Description: </show></title-label>
      <data> <pre> This command clears all status data structures in the device (registers and error queue)
and forces the Operaton Complete state to Idle.</pre> </data>
      <title-label><show> Parameter(s):</show> </title-label>
      <data> none </data>
    </Command>
</Reference>

Frame offers only the three structured apps, not mine, so I'm lost.

I've done this many times and a few times I was able to see my app, but I had specified the <reference> element in lower case and frame seemed to be complaining about that and would not open the file.

I know I need to add a lot more to my EDD and rebuild this, I just want something simple to work and I just cannot get there.

Thanks for any insights.

C2