[Framers] AUGH! I hate it when Adobe breaks existing behavior

Lin Sims ljsims.ml at gmail.com
Thu May 17 11:45:44 PDT 2018

Log some bugs at Adobe. :D

And yes, it is annoying when they break something in the process of adding
new features or changing the design. I got very accustomed to using ESC
keyboard shortcuts in FM, and when I finally had a job with FM 10, I was
annoyed to discover that some of them didn't work anymore, such as the
codes for moving up and down rows in a table.

On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 2:34 PM, Harding, Dan <dharding at illinois.edu> wrote:

> Pardon me for the rant, but I need to vent.
>
> I just recently upgraded from Frame 2012 to Frame 2017 as the former
> doesn't work at all with high resolution displays. However, in the process
> I've discovered that Adobe has broken several things... and there's nothing
> more annoying than lazy programming.
>
> 1. The interface design industry has become so touch and mouse-centric,
> that it has forgotten to make sure things work when navigating via
> keyboard. When they redesigned all of the pods, no one bothered to make
> sure the fields and controls are in proper tab order so that one can move
> between them efficiently by using TAB and Alt-TAB. That's my preferred
> method of quick access. The tab order jumps all around the damned pods; up,
> down, back, there's no rhyme or reason. That's just lazy developers
> ignoring tab order attributes in their dev environment.
>
> 2. This one REALLY is annoying and is causing me all sorts of problems.
> Using HOME or END to jump to the beginning or end of a line USED to work
> correctly, meaning that it would move you to the actual beginning or end,
> i.e., at the beginning of the line the cursor would be placed before any
> markers or anchors and at the end of a line the cursor would be placed
> after any markers or anchors at the end of the line. That has changed so
> that using HOME and END now only move you to the VISUAL beginning or ends
> of lines. In other words, hitting HOME on a line that has markers or
> anchored objects at the beginning of the line will put the cursor BETWEEN
> the markers and the first text character, and at the end of the line, the
> cursor will be placed before any markers or anchors. This makes it very
> difficult to keep invisible stacked items on the lines they should be when
> editing.
>
> What possible advantage would this change have over the previous behavior?
>
> Annoyed at careless software developers,
>
> -Dan
> listinfo.cgi/framers-frameusers.com

Lin Sims