[Framers] Best Practice for Master Page Variables for Appendices?

Caroline Tabach caroline.tabach at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 05:31:06 PDT 2018

Hi,

I am trying to work out the best way to do this

I have a book with chapter files and appendix files.

The header uses the following format

Chapter 9: Running H/F 1 - when Chapter is a variable with
Chapter<$chapnum>  Running H/F1 is a variable variable
with<$paratext[Heading1]>

For the appendix chapters instead of the tag Heading1 I can use a tag
called AppHeading1

This works very well for me in the Table of Contents (I want the word
Appendix/Chapter to appear as relevant) and is controlled with the
reference page.

However, in this case I need to use different variables for the headers.
So that it will say Appendix A: Writing a book etc  (using AppHeading1
instead of Heading1) and the correct variable so it will say Appendix
<$chapnum>

What is the best practice for all this, and for setting up Master pages.?

If I use different variables, either I paste in the different set of
variables manually on my regular "Right" master page, or make a special
master page called Appendix which must be applied as a custom master page

What is the best practice to make everything work well, if you are have a
book with appendices and regular chapters

Thanks

--
Caroline Tabach
Technical/Marcom Writer