[Framers] Entering codes for special characters/symbols

Lin Sims ljsims.ml at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 11:38:56 PDT 2019

The \x tells Frame you are using the Hex code to enter a character. It is
used for fields in dialog boxes. This is specific to Frame.
I believe that the \u tells Frame you are using a Unicode to enter a
character. I don't think it can be used in dialog boxes, but I've never
tried. Where are you using that?

The code itself is the address of the character in the codeset. If the font
you're using contains a LOT of glyphs, you can get some long codes. I'd
suggest reading up on Unicode for a (very) detailed explanation of this.

I believe the last time Adobe published a Character Sets for FrameMaker was
version 9. You can find a copy here
<https://www.daube.ch/docu/fm-documentation/FM/fm09-Character_Sets.pdf>(link
will download a PDF). Klaus Daube's website
<https://www.daube.ch/docu/fmaker00.html>, in general, is a goldmine of
information on current and past versions of Frame.

I'm not sure what you mean by code charts not applying to FrameMaker. What
codes are available depend on the font selected. Not all fonts contain
glyphs for all the available characters. In fact, most fonts are a small
subset of all the glyphs available. This website
<http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/fontsbyrange.html>provides a lot of
Unicode information, including complete lists of all the Unicode characters
available. Also on the site is information about what font sets support
certain character ranges. The all-time champion (so far!) is Arial Unicode
MS, which has 50,377 glyphs (of which 38,917 are characters).

I hope this helps.

On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 1:32 PM Doug <dbailey4117 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been working on special characters lately, determining the best way to
> enter them is pretty confusing.
>
> Some dialogs require a \x before the character code, others require just a
> \, while others require \u.  Some codes are 2 characters, while others
> require 4 characters, all for the same symbol.  Worse, some of the code
> charts I've seen don't apply accurately to FrameMaker.
>
> Can someone point me to a chart of the character codes and how they need to
> be entered?  One that is accurate for Frame?  I feel like I'm trying to
> chart a river that has already been mapped.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Doug

Lin Sims