[Framers] Automatic shrinkwrap?

Scott Prentice sp14 at leximation.com
Tue Apr 16 10:09:46 PDT 2019

Hi Rick...

Do you mean a FM binary file? (A composite file could be XML or binary.)

While it would seem that you can use DITA as the model for a structured
FM binary file, it's really not a good idea. There are a handful of
areas (like this) that it's assuming you're working in XML, and will
cause trouble. All I can suggest is that if you do want to put multiple
objects in the frame, make sure that the first object is a referenced
image and that image is large enough (extra white space) to accommodate
all of the expected content. That way the auto-shrinkwrap will size to
that image, and *should* work reasonably.

Note that I haven't tried this in default FM-DITA, but that's how it
works in DITA-FMx, and I think it's been like that since FM-DITA was
cloned from DITA-FMx (could have changed though).

Side note .. FMx does support (limited) multiple objects in a frame, as
long as the first object is a referenced image and the other objects are
objects like callouts, and Frame art. This works in FM binary files as
well as XML. The callouts and Frame art are stored as DITA data elements
so it'll round-trip from XML to FM and back.

Good luck!
...scott