[Framers] Automatic shrinkwrap?

Yves Barbion yves.barbion at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 03:03:16 PDT 2019

Hi Rick

You wrote: "It actually happens "live"; when you scale the image, the
anchored frame shrinkwraps to the imported image. My client has created a
composite FrameMaker document from his ditamap and is formatting that for
print, including scaling images, adding some FrameMaker objects, etc"

I've just done a test with a structured binary Fm file which I generated
from a ditamap, using DITA-FMx. I had one image in an AFrame, scaled it
but... the AFrame did *not* shrinkwrap. The shrinkwrapping does happen
however, when I import a second image into the same AFrame.

To stop the skinkwrapping, you could indeed do Structure > Remove Structure
from Flow, as Scott suggested.

But I agree with Scott: all this cleanup and formatting in the *generated*
binary Fm file should not be necessary (and definitely not if you use
DITA-FMx). All these formatting changes will be lost when your customer
regenerates the Fm file from the ditamap. One of the *many* interesting
features in DITA-FMx, for example, is the ability to add the resolution of
an image as an outputclass attribute (outputclass="fmdpi:150"). When the
binary Fm file is generated, this attribute value will be applied as the
dpi value on the imported image to scale it correspondingly. Here's a
feature comparison (but Scott needs to update this list for Fm 2017 and
2019):

http://leximation.com/dita-fmx/featurecomparison.php

I think your customer needs some more DITA(+FMx) training:

https://flowtime.be/en/training/dita-fmx/

(sorry for this shameless plug ;-)   )

Cheers

Yves Barbion