[Framers] Color Views: what are they FOR?

Magee, Anne (INT) Anne.Magee at Teledyne.com
Wed Jan 2 12:03:23 PST 2019

I don't really know what it's *meant* to be used for, but I can tell you what I used the "invisible" thing for.

Hang on, this may get a little complicated.

Our chapter title page displays the chapter number as an enormous number at the top right of the page, then the chapter title in a smaller font underneath. Because I could not find any way to put a paragraph break inside the paragraph design, I made this into two separate paragraph tags.

That was fine until someone decided they wanted the paragraph number to be shown in PDF bookmarks.

I don't know where I found this trick (I certainly didn't  invent it) but if I created an invisible colour view then applied the invisible character tag to the autonumber format of the chapter title paragraph, the chapter number was invisible in Framemaker and in the body of the PDF files, but was visible in the bookmarks.

Hope that made sense.
Anne

-----Original Message-----
From: Framers <framers-bounces+anne.magee=teledyne.com at lists.frameusers.com> On Behalf Of Lin Sims
Sent: Wednesday, January 2, 2019 3:19 PM
To: Frame Users <framers at lists.frameusers.com>
Subject: [Framers] Color Views: what are they FOR?

Over on the Adobe forums, I've been interacting with a someone new to Frame and was explaining how to set up and use conditions.

Then Bob Niland and Arnis Gubbins chimed in talking about color views. A little experimentation has shown me what they DO. What I can't figure out (and maybe it's just New Year's brain fuzz) is what you use them FOR. OK, you can make something that is a particular color invisible, but the space it occupies is still there so, unlike using a condition, the document doesn't reflow. You're left with gaps. Not something I want in my documents and I don't see where it would be useful.

So who has used it, and for what? Why would you choose it over using a condition instead?

--
Lin Sims