[Framers] Color Views: what are they FOR?

Stephen Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 2 13:23:35 PST 2019

Lin

I'd always assumed that they were a hangover from the days of lithographic printing, where separations had to be created... er... separately for each color plate. Like, 2-plate, 3-plate, 4-plate, 6-plate and so on. Even now when PDF is (I guess) a fairly universal pre-press format, preflighting software will warn you if you have too many color definitions in a pre-press file.

I've found color views useful in the past when dealing with tired old documents that have been through a great many hands and accumulated zillions of random color definitions that aren't actually used.

--
Steve