[Framers] Mixed DTDs in a single book

Lynne A. Price lprice at txstruct.com
Thu Jul 25 16:27:52 PDT 2019

On 7/25/2019 3:24 PM, Rick Quatro wrote:
> I have a book file that has two types of documents in it, each based on a
> different DTD and structured application. Each structured application calls
> a different XSLT stylesheet. Is there a way to save the book to XML and have
> FrameMaker use the correct struct apps for each file? Otherwise, maybe I
> combine the DTDs and stylesheets and use a single structured application?
> Suggestions are appreciated.
Rick,
    You'll need to provide a good deal more information to get concrete
suggestions. I can share some thoughts.

    What do you plan to do with the generated XML? For example, is this
for a project where the XML version of a book is the final delivery? IF
so, is delivering different XML documents for different book components
acceptable?

     It should be straightforward to script or use the FDK to export
different book components separately so that each export uses its own
application if that is acceptable.

     Alternatively, depending how much overlap there is between the two
DTDs, it will be more or less difficult to make a superset DTD. For
instance, if no element names appear in both DTDs, it should be
straightforward. If there are some common element names, does either DTD
require a subelement or attribute that are not defined or defined
differently in the other? Do elements with the same name in both DTDs
correspond to the same FM object type in both? If an element is a table,
say, in one but a cross-reference or even a container in the other,  you
have more work to do. You can always rename elements/attributes in the
two DTDs to be unique and then convert both sets to common required
names with XSLT.

    Are you allowed to change the FM documents or do you have to export
based on what you have already? Do the DTDs already exist? If so, can
you change them?

    Combining the two XSLT transforms may well be easier than combining
the DTDs, especially if a combined transform can test which type of
document it is processing.

    In any case, the different types of documents can use different EDDs
and use different formats.

     --Lynne

--
Lynne A. Price