[Framers] Different page sizes in FM document

Rick Quatro rick at rickquatro.com
Thu Mar 28 05:17:29 PDT 2019

Hi Christiane,

There is an undocumented way of doing it in FrameMaker 2019, but I am not
positive if it made it into the release version. The idea is to create your
document with a page size large enough to accommodate all the required page
sizes in the document. So, to put it in US sizes, if your document is mainly
8-1/2 x 11 inches but you have some "foldout" pages that are 17 x 11 inches,
then you create a 17 x 11 document. Your default master pages are set up so
that the 8-1/2 x 11 content area is to the left side of the page and the
extra 8-1/2 x 11 is on the right side of the page. Your foldout master pages
use the whole 17 x 11 area.

Your 8-1/2 x 11 master pages are "marked" with a hidden UserString property
that indicates that these pages should be cropped when the PDF is created.
So your PDF will have a mix of 8-1/2 x 11 and 17 x 11 pages.

When I tested this, I used ExtendScript to automate the "marking" of the
pages so that the user didn't have to worry about it. Again, I am not sure
if this feature made it into the release version, but I can give it a try
when I get a chance. If there is general interest in this, I can demonstrate
it in one of my "anti-webinars".

Rick

Rick Quatro
Carmen Publishing Inc.