[Framers] Authoring and distributing a manual for US and non-US customers

Catherine Woods catwood55 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 14:51:50 PST 2019

It's been some time since I created documents for translation, but
generally remember:

   - Stick to deadlines for English source documents and don't allow anyone
   to talk you into changing them
   - Some languages take longer to translate and are more expensive (i.e.,
   Chinese)
   - Some languages have options like European or Central and South
   American (CALA) Spanish and Portuguese, Traditional and Simplified Chinese,
   European or Canadian French. Try to pick just one.
   - Will you be tasked with finding in-country reviewers for the
   translations? This ended up being a big issue for me.
   - ezGlobe was the last company I worked with and was superior in all
   areas. Smoothed the whole process for me more than once.
   - Ask for RFP based a test document from at least 5 translation
   companies before choosing a finalist.
   - Realize that you're getting into a big job almost the size of the
   document creation and maintenance themselves.
   - Are you using a content management system to create the document? It
   will make your job easier.

Even though it sounds like I didn't like this aspects of the job, it opened
my eyes to many areas I'd never that of before. I can now tell the
differences between Traditional and Simplified Chinese and Korean, Spanish
and Portuguese, and some Scandinavian languages.

Catherine