[Framers] Structure Emphasis and Xref elements break lines

Lynne A. Price lprice at txstruct.com
Wed Oct 30 11:48:59 PDT 2019

On 10/30/2019 10:16 AM, cuc tu wrote:
> Howdy Framers,
>
> I have emphasis and xref elements defined as containers without any formatting. They break the line as a new paragraph, so how do I get them to be inline? I thought of having them use an inline heading paragraph format, but the emphasis styling is applied as an attribute so I would not see a difference between bold and italic.

C2,
     Use a TextRangeFormatting element in a text format rule to specify
that a container is a text range in the current paragraph. You can
specify individual font properties or apply a character format within
such a rule. And you can format the element based on an attribute. You
might want to use something like:

1.  If context is: [emphasis="bold"]
           Text range.
           Font properties
               Weight: Bold
      Else, if context is [emphasis="italic"]
            Text range
            Font properties
                Angle: Italic

which has the structure:

<ContextRule>
     <If>
<Specification>[emphasis="bold"]</Specification>
                <TextRangeFormatting>
                       <TextRange/>
                       <PropertiesFont>
                            <Weight>
                                 <Bold/>
                            </Weight>
                       </PropertiesFont>
                 </TextRangeFormatting>
     </If>
     <ElseIf>
<Specification>[emphasis="italic"]</Specification>
                <TextRangeFormatting>
                       <TextRange/>
                       <PropertiesFont>
                            <Angle>
                                 <Italic/>
                            </Angle>
                       </PropertiesFont>
                 </TextRangeFormatting>
</ContextRule></TextFormatRules></Container></Element>
> Also, how do changes to the EDD and template get applied to an existing structured fm file? For example, I changed the EDD <step> element to use a numbered paragraph format, but that seemed to have no affect. My FM doc does not ask for a structured app, but it seems to follow the one I've applied.

Open the EDD, template, and structured document. If you have not already
done so, make the template the current document and use File > Import >
Element Definitions to update the template to use the element
definitions defined in the EDD. Save the template. Then switch to the
structured document. Use File > Import > Formats to import all formats
into the structured document. Next, use File > Import > Element
Definitions to import the element definitions from the template into the
structured document. Make sure to check the box to remove format overrides.

Note 1: You could import element definitions from the EDD, but then FM
would display any relevant warning messages again.

Note 2: You can import templates before importing element definitions,
but then any assignment of paragraph or character properties made in the
EDD will be lost. You can always remove such overrides by importing
element definitions from the current document and checking the box to
remove overrides.

     --Lynne

--
Lynne A. Price