[Framers] Read-write rules for graphics

Roger Shuttleworth shuttie27 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 11:15:02 PDT 2019

Hello All

Using FM11. I have been wrestling for a few days with read-write rules
for graphics. When I save my (rather simple) structured FM file as XML,
all is fine except for the images. All my images are imported by
reference, and the anchored frames contain only one image each. My rules
for the <image> element are:

element "image" {
   is fm graphic element;
   fm property import by reference or copy value is "ref";
   writer facet default {
   export dpi is 96;
   specify size in in; }
attribute "href" {
/*     is fm attribute; */
      is fm property file;
   }
attribute "position" {
     is fm property position;
     value "inline" is fm property value inline;
     value "break" is fm property value bottom;
   /*  value "runin" is fm property value runin; */
   }
attribute "align" {
     is fm property alignment;
     value "left" is fm property value align left;
     value "right" is fm property value align right;
     value "center" is fm property value align center;
     value "current" is fm property value align center;
   }
attribute "height" {
     is fm property height;
     is fm attribute;
   }
attribute "width" {
     is fm property width;
     is fm attribute;
   }
}

There are a couple of issues:

 1. The "href" attribute, which is defined in my EDD as arequired id,
    exports as an empty string. I need it to populate with the path to
    my referenced graphic. You will note that I have commented out one
    line of the rules, but it makes no difference. Do I have to specify
    the "href" value in FM, or should it pick up the filename
    automatically when exporting?
 2. In the "position" attribute, the "runin" line results in an error
    when checking the rules document. Hence it too is commented out.
    However, the Developer Reference mentions "runin" as a valid value
    for the FM property, and the other values don't cause the error.
    What gives?
 3. How do I get the XML to record the *actual* sizes of the referenced
    graphics? The sizes exported to the XML (in the height and width
    attributes) are bigger than in my FM document, so if I fiddle the
    "href" value and then reopen the doc in FM, they import in the
    larger size.

Believe me, I have scoured the Structure Dev Ref and the Developer Guide
and tried all kinds of permutations, but nothing works as I wish. Of
course, having been retired for six years my memory of these things is
somewhat hazy anyway...

Thanks in advance.

Roger