[Framers] Read-write rules for graphics

Lynne A. Price lprice at txstruct.com
Mon Sep 9 12:50:15 PDT 2019

On 9/9/2019 11:15 AM, Roger Shuttleworth wrote:
> Using FM11.

Roger,
    Have you tried a later version of FM?

All my images are imported by reference, and the anchored frames contain
only one image each.

> 1. The "href" attribute, which is defined in my EDD as arequired id,
>    exports as an empty string. I need it to populate with the path to
>    my referenced graphic. You will note that I have commented out one
>    line of the rules, but it makes no difference. Do I have to specify
>    the "href" value in FM, or should it pick up the filename
>    automatically when exporting?

I'll respond to your other questions after I've had time to do some
relevant testing, but why do you want the href attribute stored in FM?
And why do you want it to be a unique ID? How is it declared in the DTD?
Pathnames contain characters (particularly slashes and possibly spaces)
that are not permitted in ID attributes in XML. Furthermore, I don't
know if your documents ever contain multiple copies of the same graphic
file, but if you use the filename as an ID, you preclude that
possibility. Structured cross-references do use ID attributes for
cross-references, but cross-references for images typically refer to
something like a container that includes a figure number rater than the
anchored frame itself.

FM should export the filename to the appropriate attribute regardless of
any value stored in FM. The only reason I can think of for importing the
filename would be to display it in the FM document as a cross-reference
to the graphic element. Do you have such a requirement?

     --Lynne

--
Lynne A. Price
Text Structure Consulting, Inc.